It’s Taco Tuesday eve here at the Holcombe Homestead! Taco Tuesday is one of my favorite nights of the week because, well, I love tacos. Clarification: I love Mexican food. So while I call it Taco Tuesday, it’s really just Mexican food Tuesday. Unfortunately, that doesn’t have the same ring to it. While I would love to fill up on all the fried tortillas, refried beans, and Mexican rice, I don’t love the way I feel when I eat that way. Therefore, I had to come up with lighter, healthier, recipes for my favorite dinner night of the week.
If I lived in a perfect world, I would eat only clean and whole foods. Sour gummy worms would also be considered clean and whole in my perfect world, but that’s just not reality. Basically, I’m just trying to balance it all! With the help of two of my most trusted advisers (Pinterest and Google) I have found healthy and delicious recipes my family loves. This has also inspired me to be inventive in creating my own recipes.
I’m not sure where I first found it, but I’ve been making this Mexican Quinoa for a while and have tweaked it to be the perfect weeknight meal for us. This dish makes 4 servings and each serving is only around 380 calories! I top it with my 7 Minute Guacamole (165 calories), sour cream (23 calories), cheese (50 calories), salsa (33 calories), and a freshly squeezed lime and still stay around 650 calories total. To make it healthier, you could leave off the cheese and sour cream (I love guacamole too much to suggest ditching that!). I can’t wait for you to try this and let me know what you think!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 1/2 medium bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2/3 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1 boil in bag quinoa If you cannot find this form of quinoa, you can use regular quinoa. I recommend making 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water or broth. Follow the package directions for the quinoa you choose.
- guacamole optional
- shredded cheese optional
- salsa optional
- sour cream optional
- lime optional
- Follow package instructions for quinoa.
- Heat olive oil on medium/high heat.
- Add onion, pepper, garlic, and turkey to pan. Cook until meat is brown and veggies become translucent.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, and salt into the water. Once combined, pour over the meat mixture and turn heat down to simmer. Let the ingredients simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place 1/4 of cooked quinoa on a plate. Top with the meat and veggie mixture. Add cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and lime to top. Enjoy!